NPP Logo

NPP Logo

Tuesday 7 August 2018

It's time!

My name is Joel Champ. I am an Australian filmmaker and I think it's time to start this blog.

For the last year I have been creating, flat-out. A lot of ideas going through my head. There was a point not so long ago that I wished I had the momentum I have now. After we made Blacktop Stranger I learnt a lot about what didn't work, but I also learnt a lot about what did work. It's funny, you can envision yourself being a great filmmaker or actor, you see movies and you think "I can do that". But, then you go and attempt to create what you see and quickly realise how a little amount of experience is not enough, you need to work off reflex! Reflex is what makes the greats great!

When you see yourself creating art you see it in a perfect world. When you go out and physically try creating it, you find there is no such thing as perfect conditions. And all this applies to life as well. I've been trying to find that "perfect" place to live so I can finish writing my script. I found the right conditions; quiet, isolated, comfortable. But, there are still little things that drive you crazy, like people lol. But, inevitably, it is all in your head. The same things that pissed me off at the last house now seem insignificant. It's me! It's my mind playing little tricks on me while I go stir crazy. So, there is effort used to keep those distracting thoughts pushed aside and make room for creativity.

So, you must rely on reflex. In my opinion, what makes a director great is: a guy/gal who can step into the largest shit-fight you ever seen and be able to make sense of it, be able to tame it, and be able to inspire along the way. Remember, it's not until the shoot is over that people look back on what happened and really decide what they think of you. If you can carry your soldiers over the finish line, even though it looked like you where never going to make it, your soldiers will have a lot of respect for you. You look back, and you realise you did it all without having to over think, your artistic and problem solving reflexes pushed the momentum forward. Sometimes, this means making the wrong decision, and that is a part of learning these reflexes, but as long as you didn't make a decision so bad it derails the production, you completed the mission.

A lot of amateur filmmakers are disheartened when they realise making a movie isn't as easy as getting drunk and thinking of some cool idea that you probably stole from somewhere else. Too much talk. Go out and film anything. Get to know your equipment. Forget about onlookers, they will mean nothing once you are back home watching your footage. Only see what the camera sees.

Most importantly, have some people who are truly willing to share your vision. Sometimes it's hard to see what you have, because once again, your mind can play little tricks on you. Your mind can turn your friends into foes, but that's usually just personality clashing and lack of clear communication. I love filmmaking, it's beyond a hobby, or a phase, it's an addiction as much as a heroine user thinks about heroine when they wake up. I have that same feeling about filmmaking. Sometimes to the point where it's not mentally, physically, or socially healthy. But, hey, our little towns are being taken over by meth, so being addicted to something that is actually productive in life is something that I'm proud of.

That will do for this intro post. I didn't mean to write all this shit, I was actually planning to talk about my next film. Next post I will introduce you to the little people.


Cheers,
Joel

No comments:

Post a Comment